Subtraction can be represented using three different models: missing addend, take away, and difference (comparison). Joe’s Carrots introduces missing-addend subtraction. The story is also used to link missing-addend to take-away subtraction.
These whole-class activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about a subtraction situation
- use materials to act out take-away and missing-addend subtraction situations
- use the Teaching Tool to act out take-away and missing-addend subtraction situations
- complete, represent, and develop addition and subtraction number sentences
- use the think-addition strategy to solve subtraction problems