Parker’s Patterns introduces algebraic thinking language (making statements and asking questions). Students explore concrete and pictorial representations by finding, identifying and extending patterns when they state what part of the pattern is repeating and ask, What comes next in the pattern?
These whole-class/large group and small group activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about repeating patterns
- listen to the accompanying story tune
- use materials to explore repeating patterns
- use the teaching tool to analyse, extend and create repeating patterns
- describe repeating patterns in the environment by making statements and asking questions about repeating patterns