A repeating pattern (for example: 1, 2, 1, 2 …) repeats without alteration. A growing pattern (for example: 2, 4, 6, 8 …) increases or decreases in a regular manner. Both types of patterns are introduced in the book Patterns Here, Patterns There!
These whole-class activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about patterns
- identify the repeating element of a pattern
- act out the story using materials
- act out the story using the Teaching Tool
- use materials to make patterns
- use the Teaching Tool to make patterns