A repeating pattern (for example: 1, 2, 1, 2 …) repeats without alteration. A growing pattern (for example: 2, 4, 6, 8 …) increases or decreases in a regular manner. Both types of patterns are introduced in the book Perfect Patterns.
These whole-class activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about patterns
- use materials to make repeating patterns
- use the Teaching Tool to copy and extend repeating patterns
- use materials to copy and extend increasing and decreasing patterns
- use the Teaching Tool to copy and extend increasing and decreasing patterns