The concept of subtraction can be categorised as one of three types: take away, missing addend, or difference. Ten Happy Hens introduces take-away subtraction through the disappearance of hens from the chicken coop.
These whole-class activities will provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about take-away subtraction
- use materials to act out take-away situations
- use the Teaching Tool to act out take-away situations
- complete, represent, and develop number sentences
- link take-away subtraction with addition
- create and illustrate a take-away situationF BB Ten Happy Hens HERO