Multiplication can be represented using four different models: the area model, the set model, the linear model, and the combination model. The Big Bug Band uses arrays to introduce the area model.
These whole-class activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about array situations
- use materials to act out array situations
- act out array situations using the Teaching Tools
- investigate turnaround multiplication number facts
- use the array model to identify factors of a number
- explore square numbers and prime numbers