The Racing Horses introduces the position of an object in order from first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and last. Knowledge of the sequence of ordinal language and words is also presented. Students explore, recall, match, and order objects, pictures, or words using ordinal language. Students talk about the position of an object using terms such as first, next, last, second, third, fourth, and fifth.
These whole-class/large group and small group activities provide students with the opportunity to:
- listen to a story about the idea of order of objects
- listen to the accompanying story tune
- use materials to explore, recall, match, and sequence ordinal positions
- use the teaching tool to represent the order of objects
- sequence the order of objects in a variety of contexts